October 7, 2015

Simple Applique Baby Quilts - Dinosaurs and Elephants

One of my closest friends requested a couple custom baby quilts for two of her friends that are currently expecting. She wanted the design to be relatively simple for both quilts. We searched Pinterest for some inspiration and after seeing this quilt she was in love. 
Photo Credit: Grapes & Hearts
http://grapes-hearts.blogspot.de/2013/10/dare-to-be-different-finished-quilt.html?m=1
We tweaked the pattern to make it a little simpler in style. We ultimately settled on a solid fabric for the front and a gray/white polka dot flannel for the back of both quilts. For the first quilt, she opted for a green cotton front with dinosaurs appliqued. The second quilt has a blue cotton top with elephants appliqued. Instead of piecing fabrics for the dinosaur or elephant, we settled on this fabric and also used it as the binding. She requested an all-over squiggle quilting pattern in matching thread. 

Here is a brief step by step on my process. I used an iron on stabilizer on the back side of gray and rainbow fabrics. I printed out an image of the dinosaur and elephant. I then traced this image on the stabilizer and then cut out all of the dinosaurs and elephants. Once everything was cut out, I removed the paper backing and laid them in position on the green or blue quilt top. 
Once I had the spacing and position finalized, I ironed them on to the green fabric. I then proceeded to sew around each of the dinosaurs and elephants to secure them to the quilt tops. I used a zig-zag stitch, but changed the stitch length so that the stitches were very close together.
Once the dinosaurs and elephants were all stitched on, I pinned the layers together (flannel backing, quilt batting and quilt top) to begin quilting. As I mentioned, she wanted an all over squiggle quilting pattern on these quilts.
Once the quilting was completed, I cut the quilt to size and evened up all the edges and corners. I then made the bias tape, enough to bind both quilts. I finished each quilt by binding them with my homemade bias tape in the fun rainbow fabric. 


I went through the same process for the elephant quilt. Since the gray elephants did not stand out as much against the blue background, I opted to use white thread for the applique to give a little definition and contrast. 

I just love how these quilts turned out! I think they are so adorable and perfect for a new baby.  The colors and prints are so fun and I love that the lattice pattern slightly resembles a "Block O" pattern. 

Dinosaur Quilt Specs: 
42" x 55"
Face - cotton quilting fabrics
Dinosaurs - cotton quilting fabrics
Binding - I made the bias tape out this fabric 
Back - gray / white polka dot quilter's flannel 
Quilting Pattern - free motion in an all over squiggle pattern

Elephant Quilt Specs: 
40.5" x 59.5"
Face - cotton quilting fabrics
Elephants - cotton quilting fabrics
Binding - I made the bias tape out this fabric 
Back - gray / white polka dot quilter's flannel 
Quilting Pattern - free motion in an all over squiggle pattern

You can see more of my sewing projects and quilts I have completed on my Facebook Page and  Etsy Shop.

I had so much fun making these quilts for my friend to gift to her two friends. I hope they love them and their babes will grow up loving them too!


No comments:

Post a Comment